THE FOUNDATION IS NEITHER A MEMBERSHIP ORGANISATION NOR AN ADVOCATE
As a fund manager we welcome corporate grants, legacies and bequests, gifts and donations and contributions from philanthropists. Strict criteria underpin the Foundation's investment strategy.
- Protect and sustain New Zealand's natural landscapes, habitats and species.
- Have demonstrable management and governance controls in place.
- Encourage community participation in natural heritage conservation.
- Have a serious scale and impact.
- Address a specific problem or threat.
- Be based on robust scientific research and analysis.
- Make a measurable difference to conservation outcomes at defined milestones.
The Foundation has a memorandum of understanding with the Department of Conservation. This enables us to provide independent trusteeship of private sector funds contributed to departmental programmes, and ensure that these are applied strictly to the purpose for which they were contributed.
"NZ National parks & Conservation Foundation is a trusted partner of DOC, working together on a number of conservation projects across New Zealand" - DOC
We are not limited to providing funding for the Department of Conservation, and can provide funding to any projects that meet our criteria. While we have an existing portfolio of projects in which donors may invest, we also work with potential donors and investors to identify additional projects and programmes where there is a specific interest or outcome sought.
Administration costs are mostly covered by separate grants, which allows most of the donated money to be applied directly to the intended conservation project. All monies are tracked, monitored and accounted for.